Sunday, November 19, 2006

The birds and the bees toddler style

Anna crawls into bed with Chris and I almost every night, so she's always there to cuddle in the morning. The last couple of mornings she's been giving us her insight regarding babies. She is sure I am having another one. This morning Katie and Beth were there to join in the conversation that went something like this:

Anna (laying across my tummy shaking it back and forth): Tum out baby Sally! Tum out baby Sally! It time for brefast.

Katie: Mommy is not having another baby.

Anna: Uh huh. Dust one more baby in mommy's tummy. I tan see it moving.

Katie: It's not a baby Anna.

Beth: Yeah, mommy's tummy is just really fat. (kids always point out the painful truth don't they?)

Anna: NO! It a baby, dust one more baby.

Beth: Mommy isn't having another baby. The doctor sewed her up so no more can get out. (A five year old's explanation of a tubal ligation I guess)

Katie: How will the baby get out Anna?(uh oh...moving into dangerous territory now, leave it to the 9 year old to steer the conversation in this direction).

Anna: Dat baby will poke a hole in mommy's bellybutton and det out.

At this point Katie and Beth collapse into complete giggles. I'm not sure how they think babies get out, but they know enough that Anna's explanation isn't true. Of course I was laughing too, so maybe they just wanted to look smart, and laughed along.

Now Anna takes her finger and sticks it in my bellybutton and GASPS!

Anna: I tan feel Sally's Finger!!!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Corra - I just LOVE your blog - it makes me smile when I really need it. You write beautifully - I totally feel like I am still just down the road - keep it up!

Tiffany B. said...

OMG! That's hilarious! I love it!