Thursday, January 11, 2007

Muffins...from scratch!

I baked this evening. I know many of you know me, and must think I'm lying, but it's true. I baked...from scratch. It's not that I'm not a good baker, it's just not something I've ever really enjoyed doing. Chris likes to bake, or he likes the end result of baking, either way we have cookies or cakes around once in a while, but they never last long.

So tonight I baked something....healthy. I've been reading my Whole Foods cookbook lately looking for yummy muffin recipes. Chris brought Timmie muffins homes a couple nights last week and it was so nice to have one in the morning for breakfast, but they are far from good for you. I thought it would be nice to make a few different batches of muffins to freeze and have around for breakfast (so nice with my cup of coffee and bad for you International Foods creamer) or for a snack once in a while.

Chris is going to the city tomorrow to run some errands and I have a nice long shopping list of ingredients I want him to pick up for the other batches. I plan to bake a bunch this weekend. I had almost all of what I needed for the Apple Muffins I baked tonight, so I planned to pop into the store in town here this afternoon once Chris shovelled out the driveway. Of course the van was dead, and the garage had filled with snow, and my van was filled with snow from Chris getting in and out of it yesterday while trying to get the girls from school, so the short shopping trip took quite a while. Maybe if the weather ever warms up (it's -40C with the windchill today) my van will have a chance to defrost.

I did make it to the store though to pick up the missing ingredient...apples, and tonight after supper I baked muffins. They made the house smell so nice. Katie has already sampled one, but she thinks they are not sweet enough and that next time I should add more honey. It's probably the 'wholeness' of them that she is tasting coming through, being used to store and restaurant muffins made from who knows what, lol. These ones had whole wheat flour, wheat germ, milk and apples as the main ingredients. They are really good though, I had a bite of Katie's. Before they were baked she had asked to take on to school tomorrow, so we'll see how much she actually likes them when it comes time to make lunches tomorrow morning.

The real test will come when Chris gets a chance to eat one. I told him I wanted to make muffins this week and he thought we should either buy some muffin mix or make them from a cake mix. I kept telling him that I wanted to make them from scratch and he just didn't seem to understand, lol. Hopefully he'll like them, but if not, more for me!

0 comments: