Friday, December 01, 2006

3am and the Race is On!

I woke up suddenly last night at 3am to the sound of the cats chasing one another across the living room, through the kitchen and into my bedroom...up one side of my bed and down the other. It was pretty funny to listen to the chase. Our living room and kitchen have laminate floors and the cats always have a hard time running on them. If they are startled and try to run, you can usually hear their claws hit the floor and try to get a grip, almost like they are running on the spot, before they fall over. It was the same last night, or should I say early morning. I could hear them start at one end of the living room, claws clicking all over the floor and they tried to run, and then you could hear them slide as they tried to maneuver their way around the dishwasher and slide through the bedroom door where they could finally get a grip on the carpet and go flying up and down my bed. It was all very cartoon like actually. Chris woke up too, or else he was still awake, as he worked til 2am and I have no idea when he got home. He told me the cats do this every single night he comes home from being on nights. So they cats have a couple more races and then Chris gets up to close the bedroom door as there is no way we can sleep with all the clicking and sliding sounds, much less the mad dash up and down the bed across our feet. I said "Do you think they will run into the door?". They can't see our door until after the dishwasher turn, and then it's right there. Chris says "I guess we'll see." just as we hear the beginning clicking start again.

Click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click....slide.....click, click, click, THUNK...the distinct sound of a cat's head hitting our door. Then click, click, click, click, THUMP...the sound of a whole cat hitting the door. Chris and I burst into laughter. That was the last we heard of the cats. It put a lot into perspective for me....if they run their heads into doors, perhaps they have brain damage, which really would explain a lot of their behaviour actually.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I'm laughing so hard it's shaking my pc! What a riot, I remember those days. That and my brother cruelly sticking tape to the bottoms of the feet just to watch it walk and try and flick the tape off.

Brenda said...

You had me laughing so hard!