Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Come and share a bite to eat with my family!

Tonight I made Corned Beef Hash for supper. It’s something my mom would make when I was a kid, but I don’t think I’ve ever made it for my kids before. Basically you boil some potatoes and drain them, then add a can of corned beef and mash it all together. My mom would add fried onions as well, but I knew that would send the kids right over the edge so we did without. Being the picky kids they are, they took one look and every single one of them said…Ewwww! What’s that? I’m going to try to remember as much of the dinner conversation as I can…

Me: It’s corned beef and potatoes mashed together.
Katie: What’s corned beef?
Beth: It’s a cow, I saw the can, it had a cow on it.
Anna: I don’t like it.

So I start to dish them out a small amount each.

Katie: I think I am a vegetarian.
Beth: What’s a vegetarian.
Katie: Someone who doesn’t eat meat.
Anna: It not meat, it a cow, I don’t like it.

Then I dish out some corn.

Katie: Not very much I don’t like corn very much.
Me: You’re not much of a vegetarian if you don’t eat your veggies.
Beth: You’ll get sick if you don’t eat vegetables.
Katie: Yeah, you get scurvy.
Beth: I know what happens if you get scurvy.
Me: What happens?
Beth: You turn into a pirate.
Anna: A scurby pirate (you have to watch Backyardigans to get that one)

So I explain what scurvy is and why pirates would get it, and that you don’t turn into a pirate if you don’t eat your veggies and get scurvy.

Beth: The cats would love this (the corned beef hash she means).
Me: Why?
Beth: It looks just like cat food, and it kinda tastes like cat food.
Me: It does not taste like cat food, it tastes like potatoes and corned beef.

The conversation just went downhill from there, lol. Finally all was quiet, the kids were eating their cat food/corned beef hash and Anna pipes up (after staring intently into her cup), “Dis smells like cat pee.”

Don’t you wish you could eat over at our house?

0 comments: