Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Happy Birthday Grandma!

Last night we were invited over to my parents' house for a birthday dinner for my grandma. I don't recall ever being with my grandma on her birthday so it was really nice to be able to spend the evening with her now that we live in the same city.

My grandparents moved to the city in the fall, into a much smaller home than they had before. As a result, they don't really need more 'things' for Christmas and Birthdays, their home is full enough already. I was on a mission to find something edible for a gift earlier this week when I found a website for a coffee and tea store in the city. My grandparents live in a condo complex where one meal a day is provided for them in a large common dining room. Every night they ask for 2 Lipton's Ginger Peach Tea bags with their meal. They share one and my grandpa puts the other one in his pocket and then they share it later in the evening. I have looked everywhere for this brand of tea and cannot find it! I thought I was lucky one afternoon when I came across a different brand of ginger peach, but they say it's not the same.



So off I was to the coffee shop (with a side mission to pick up some caramel crunch coffee beans recommended to me by a friend) as soon as my day home kids were picked up. Unfortunately the only ginger peach they had was loose, and I was pretty sure my grandma would only want tea bags. They had lots of other ginger versions in bags, but none were ginger peach. So I picked up my coffee and headed out.



Luckily just down the block is a cheese shop. My grandma loves cheese. Since they have moved to the city, we pick up my grandparents every Sunday to take them to church. I have heard so many stories about my grandmother's childhood that I have never heard before during these car rides. One of those stories is why she loves cheese so much, so I know I can never go wrong with a gift of cheese. I picked up a nice blue cheese I know she enjoys and a little container of olives and my mission was accomplished.



She was so please to have so many of her family with her last night on her birthday. I, as usual, forgot my camera, but my new phone has a camera built in. I know that's how most people's cell phones are nowadays but it's been years and years since I got a new cell phone, so it's very new and exciting for me, lol. It's not a great picture, seeing it's taken by a phone, but oh well, at least it's a picture.



Would you like to know how old my grandma is? I'll tell you what she tells me every time I have ever asked her "I am as old as my tongue, and a little bit older than my teeth." Happy Birthday Grandma!

0 comments: