Monday, March 19, 2007

Test the Nation

Apparently there was a show on CBC last night called Test the Nation. I didn't watch (I was busy painting once the kids were in bed) but I did the online test today. It's just an IQ test, not country specific or anything so try it out and post your results in my comments section...if you dare, lol.

Take the Test!

It asks you to guess your IQ before taking the test, and I know I am a well-rounded, above average intelligent person (and so humble too I might add), so I guessed 130. I've taken online IQ tests before and generally scored around there. I think I should have gotten a couple extra points for guessing so close to what my actual score was, lol. Anyways here are my results:


And some interesting facts from the Test the Nation site:

  • The average IQ is between 90 and 109. If you score 132 or more, you can call yourself a genius. (Ohhhh, I was so close. Can you imagine how difficult I would be to live with if I had actually scored 132? I'd be making my kids call me Mommy Genius, or Mommy G for short!)
  • Researchers have shown that each year of schooling is good for about 3.5 IQ points.
  • Conversely, dropouts lose IQ points. Swedish researchers found a 1.8-point IQ loss for each year of high school missed after dropping out.
  • People with high IQ tend to live longer and suffer less from certain diseases like depression, dementia and schizophrenia, but they also tend to suffer more from obsessive-compulsive disorder.
  • Women with a higher IQ are 40% less likely to marry.
  • Caffeine can improve your IQ score (doesn't make you smarter but makes you more alert and increases short-term memory).
  • Wine drinkers on average have a higher IQ than beer drinkers. Studies show a slight advantage to wine drinkers — but do wine drinkers have higher IQs because they drink wine or vice-versa ? It may be that some people with high IQ reach a high social status and then choose to drink wine to fit in. (see table below for alcohol consumption data of high IQ countries).
  • IQ is not influenced by family size or birth order.
  • Workers distracted by phone calls, e-mails and text messages suffer a greater loss of IQ than a person smoking marijuana, a British study shows.
  • A chemical found in strawberries and other coloured fruit and vegetables has been found to boost the memory. Fisetin, a naturally occurring flavonoid, stimulates the signalling pathways that enhance long-term memory, according to the Californian and Japanese researchers. The catch - lead researcher Pamela Maher said it would take 4.5kg a day to achieve a beneficial effect.
  • A recent study has shown that it is possible to increase one’s IQ by regularly playing puzzle games.
  • A drop in IQ has been found to be an early predictor of Alzheimer’s disease—up to a decade before the onset of the health problem.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

I scored 102. I had a hard time with being timed on some of them. I just couldn't comprehend them that fast. Doesn't help that I'm tired...lol!

Anonymous said...

I got 121
Language 6/12
Memory 4/6
Logic 10/12
Visual Memory 5/6
Math 12/12
Perception 10/12